WoTMUD runs on lengths of time of (ideally) 0.25 seconds which are called pulses. All actions and events are a multiple of this basic pulse time.
Length of a pulse
The length of a pulse can be measured by timing a repeated action with a stopwatch. The observed length of a pulse is actually slightly more than its nominal length, due to connection speed, server lag, and other factors. Currently, a pulse takes approximately 0.3 seconds, and this time will be used below.
Derived time units
- Round = 12 pulses =~3.6 seconds (ideally 3 seconds)
- Half-tic = 10 rounds =~36 seconds (ideally 30 seconds)
- MUD Hour = 20 rounds =~72 seconds (ideally 60 seconds) - This unit is also known as a 'tic' due to the game clock 'ticking' up by 1 Hour in this time.
- MUD Day = 24 MUD hours
- MUD Month = 28 MUD days
- MUD Year = 13 MUD months
Length of selected actions
The length of the following actions are given in pulses.
- Charge: 7 pulses (add fleelag to a maximum of 12)
- Combat Round: 12 pulses
- Bash: 13 pulses
- Backstab: 16 pulses
- Ambush: 36 pulses
- Silence: 2 pulses
- Chill, Deafen: 5 pulses
- Slice Weaves: 7 pulses
- Earthquake: 8 pulses
- Flame Strike, Hailstorm, Hammer of Air: 9 pulses
- Blind, Call lightning, Freeze: 10 pulses
- Fear, Fireball, Ice Spikes, Slow, Sonic Boom, Whirlpool: 13 pulses
- Contagion, Hurricane, Poison: 15 pulses
- Travel: 20 pulses
- Incinerate, Sleep: 25 pulses
- Aggro, auto-wield: 40 pulses
- Bash: ?? pulses
- Charge: ?? pulses
Knowledge of the MUD's clock can be useful for timing certain actions, especially in PK.
In Game Description
Syntax: time Displays current game time and real time. Also displays how long the WoT MUD has been up without a crash or reboot.